MP BACKS ‘BE ALARMED!’ Carbon Monoxide campaign

cobealarmedWith storms continuing to hit the UK, and households using their heating more, Andrew Gwynne MP is reminding people in Tameside and Stockport to install an audible carbon monoxide alarm.

The Department of Health estimates that 40 people are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, and at least 4,000 are treated in hospital, in the UK each year. Meanwhile research from the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign has found that 35 million households in the UK could be at risk of poisoning as they don’t have an alarm in their home which will warn them of the poisonous gas.

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuel such as gas, coal or wood doesn’t burn properly – usually because of a faulty boiler or other appliance or because ventilation has been blocked. The symptoms include headaches, nausea, dizziness and a loss of consciousness and it is often mistaken for a cold or flu.

The poisonous gas has no colour, taste or smell so the only way to be fully protected is to have a carbon monoxide alarm that makes a loud noise when the gas is present. They are widely available and cost around £15.

Supporting the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign, Andrew Gwynne MP said:

“Many people don’t realise that they’re at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning as they have their heating on more often during the cold weather. Carbon monoxide can kill without any warning, but it is very easy to prevent.

“That’s why I am urging everyone in Tameside and Stockport to make sure they and their loved ones are protected by installing a carbon monoxide alarm.”

For more information about how to stay safe, visit www.co-bealarmed.co.uk, or follow them on Twitter at @COBeAlarmed

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s