MP Andrew Gwynne supports Parkinson’s UK call to review prescription charges exemption list

Denton and Reddish MP Andrew Gwynne this week joined up with the charity Parkinson’s UK’s call for an end to unfair charges for people living with long-term medical conditions in England.

People with Parkinson’s, who remain in work, have to pay prescription charges for all the medication needed to manage their incurable and progressive long term condition.

Parkinson’s affects one in 500 people in Denton and Reddish, and while medication allows people to manage their condition there is currently no cure.

Parkinson’s UK co-chairs the Prescription Charges Coalition, a group of over 40 organisations concerned about the impact of prescription charges on people of working age with long-term conditions who have to pay for their medication on an ongoing basis.

Research conducted by the coalition shows that more than a third of those with long-term conditions, who are paying for each prescription they receive, are rationing the medication they buy due to the cost. Of these, three quarters felt their health had got worse as a result and 10% ended up in hospital.

Andrew Gwynne said:

“Currently 90% of prescriptions in England are given out free of charge. This means the remaining 10% is shouldered almost entirely by working people with long term conditions. This is completely inequitable and unfair.

“The Medical Exemption List, which was drafted almost 50 years ago, is out of date and illogical. Excluding all people with long term conditions from prescription charges would improve individual health outcomes and reduce health service costs.  The Secretary of State for Health must urgently review current medical exemption criteria to include all those with long term conditions.”

Policy and campaigns programme manager at Parkinson’s UK, Laura Cockram, said:

“We’re delighted that Andrew is supporting our campaign for an urgent review of the prescription charges medical exemption list to include all those with long term conditions.

“People with Parkinson’s and other long term conditions are bearing the brunt of this unequal system, with devastating impact on their health. We are delighted that we can work together with Andrew Gwynne to raise awareness of this issue and push for change.”

For advice, information and support, visit http://www.parkinsons.org.uk or call our free, confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s