I was first elected to Parliament in the General Election held on Thursday 5th May 2005, as the new Labour Member of Parliament for the Denton and Reddish constituency in Greater Manchester. I was then re-elected in the 2010, 2015 and 2017 General Elections.
Briefly about me
- I am 44 years old, married with 3 children and live in Denton, where I grew up
I was educated in the constituency at Egerton Park High School, then at Tameside College, North East Wales Institute and Salford University
I served as a Labour Councillor on Tameside MBC between 1996 and 2008, representing the Denton West Ward
- I am also a member of Unite the Union, the GMB, the Co-operative Party and Christians on the Left
Between June 2009 and May 2010, Andrew served as Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Rt Hon Ed Balls MP, the Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families
- I served as the PPS to the Home Secretary, the Rt Hon Jacqui Smith MP from July 2007 – June 2009 and to the Rt Hon Baroness Scotland of Asthal QC, between November 2005 – July 2007
- I have previously served as a Shadow Minister for Transport, covering passenger transport, between October 2010 and October 2011
- I then held the Shadow Health Minister post from October 2011 – September 2015 and Shadow Public Health Minister between September 2015 – 2016
- In 2016, I was promoted to the Shadow Cabinet, as Shadow Minister without Portfolio.
- I coordinated Labour’s 2017 General Election campaign alongside Ian Lavery MP as Labour Party Co-National Campaign Coordinator
- I now serve on the Shadow Cabinet as Shadow Secretary of State for Communities, and Local Government