COVID-19: Help and Support

As a country, we need to come together and ensure that the implications of COVID-19 do not result in anybody being left behind. There are some amazing community groups currently operating in our constituency to aid the most vulnerable in society. Advice and information in relation to housing, transport and utilities is also available for anybody who may need it. Please access the links above if you are in need of help or are able to contribute in any way.

To keep up the latest reliable information about COVID-19, the Government have launched a WhatsApp service. Add 07860 064422 to your contacts and send “Hello” as a message to the number on WhatsApp to receive updates.

What You Have To Do

There are currently local restrictions in place in Greater Manchester.

Find out what you can and cannot do here.

[Back to top]

COVID-19 Symptoms

COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. The symptoms of the disease which are requiring people to stay at home are a high temperature, a new and continuous cough or the loss or change of their sense of smell or tasteIf you have any of these symptoms, please stay at home. Do not go to a GP surgery, hospital or pharmacy.

There is no need to ring NHS 111 if you are staying at home. Use of the number is encouraged, however, if you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, your condition gets worse or your symptoms do not get better after 7 days.

The following information has been taken from the NHS website which I am encouraging everyone to take note of.

Getting Tested

You can have a test (swab test) to check if you have coronavirus (COVID-19) now. You can choose to take the test:

  • at a test site near you today and get your result tomorrow
  • with a home test kit

You can get a test:

  • for yourself, if you have coronavirus symptoms now (a high temperature, a new, continuous cough, or a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste)
  • for someone you live with, if they have symptoms
  • if you live in England and have been told to have a test before you go into hospital, for example, for surgery
  • if your local council asks you to get a test

You can find out more about testing, including how to request a test here.

[Back to top]

Shielding the Most Vulnerable

Those with an increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19 were told to take extra precautions. However, the Government has now announced that shielding has been paused.

This means:

  • you do not need to follow previous shielding advice
  • you can go to work as long as the workplace is Covid-secure, but should carry on working from home wherever possible
  • clinically extremely vulnerable children should attend education settings in line with the wider guidance on reopening of schools and guidance for full opening: special schools and other specialist settings
  • you can go outside as much as you like but you should still try to keep your overall social interactions low
  • you can visit businesses, such as supermarkets, pubs and shops, while keeping 2 metres away from others wherever possible or 1 metre, plus other precautions
  • you should continue to wash your hands carefully and more frequently than usual and that you maintain thorough cleaning of frequently touched areas in your home and/or workspace
  • you will no longer receive free food parcels, medicine deliveries and basic care from the National Shielding Service

You can find the latest advice on shielding on the Government website here.

NHS Volunteering

NHS Volunteer Responders has been set up to support the NHS during the COVID-19 outbreak. An army of volunteers are needed to support the 1.5 million people in England who are the most at risk from the virus. Volunteers must be aged 18 or over, and be fit and well with no symptoms of COVID-19. If you do become ill, you will be able to pause your volunteering.

Signing up is easy! Join the team today. Once you have been registered and checks have been completed, you will be provided with a log-in to the GoodSAM Responder app. When you are free to help, switch the app to ‘on duty’, and you will see live and local volunteer tasks to pick in your area.

To ensure that people are adhering to Government guidance, responders may be required to show the active task they are carrying out if prompted. The majority of the volunteer tasks can be undertaken while social distancing. Volunteers will receive guidance with regard to carrying out tasks safely via a Getting Started pack.

There are four NHS Volunteer roles:

Community Response Volunteer

Role: Collecting shopping, medication or other essential supplies for someone who is self-isolating, and delivering these supplies to their home.

Patient Transport Volunteer

Role: Providing transport to patients who are medically fit for discharge, and ensuring that they are settled safely back in their home.

These driving volunteers require an enhanced DBS check.

NHS Transport Volunteer

Role: Transporting equipment, supplies and medication between NHS services and sites, and assisting pharmacies with medication delivery.

Check-In and Chat Volunteer

Role: Providing short-term telephone support to individuals who are at risk of loneliness as a consequence of self-isolation.

This support can be provided by people in higher-risk groups, including people aged over 70, pregnant people and people with underlying medical conditions.

Call for Retired Police Officers

Due to the impact of COVID-19 on policing and the community, Greater Manchester Police are looking to re-engage retired police officers.

Currently, 1,332 police officers and staff are away from work because of COVID-19. 1,350 police officers retired from the Greater Manchester Police between 2014 and 2019.

Retired police officers are therefore being asked to re-offer their services to the community.

There are a range of roles available:

  • Dealing with local investigations
  • Front Line roles
  • Supporting call handling
  • Taking reports from the public

If you are a retired police officer able to help Greater Manchester Police during these unprecedented, please email

[Back to top]

Food Banks

Tameside East

Haughton Green, Tameside

Reddish, Stockport


Irwell Valley Homes understand that tenants are worried about the impact COVID-19 is going to have on their finances. As such, they are advising that tenants seek help by checking out the latest information from the Government for people in work, and those claiming benefits. Tenants concerned about managing their money should contact the Financial Inclusion Team who are trained to offer expert money guidance.

The Financial Inclusion Team can be contacted over the phone (0300 561 1111) from Monday to Thursday, 8:00am to 6:00pm and Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm.

New Charter tenants who are experiencing difficulties with paying their rent as a result of COVID-19 are encouraged to contact Jigsaw Homes.

Jigsaw Homes can be contacted over the phone (0300 11 11 212) and by email ( from Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm.

If you are a Stockport Homes tenant who is expecting to or is currently experiencing a reduction in income due to self-isolation or illness with COVID-19, contact the Rents Team as soon as possible. They are here to support you through these difficult times. Those who do get behind with their rent payments should talk to the Rents Team so that they can understand your situation and make an affordable arrangement for future payments.

The Rents Team can be contacted over the phone (0161 217 6016, Option 3 then Option 3) from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm.

Guidance for Employers

Employers are now able to make an online claim for a grant to cover 80 percent of their furloughed employees’ salaries, up to a maximum of £2,500 per employee per month, via the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme.

This scheme will be open until the end of October 2020

Before employers make a claim:


Call lines are expected to be extremely busy, therefore employers are encouraged to use the above resources or GOV.UK web chat services to ensure that call lines are kept open for those who need them the most.

After employers make a claim:

  • Keep a note of or print-out their claim reference number for future reference
  • Retain all records and calculations for their claims in case HMRC require them
  • Expect to receive funds 6 working days after making a successful claim
  • Ask furloughed employees not to directly contact HMRC as information cannot be provided about individual cases
  • Be vigilant of potential scammers and opportunist criminal activity

Guidance for Employees

The Government have released guidance for employees during this period, including:

  • Advice on staying at home
  • Sick pay
  • Guidance for furloughed workers
  • Guidance on claiming benefits

You can access this guidance here.

For workers who are still required to work during this time, Public Health England guidelines need to followed.

This includes maintaining a 2 metre distance from other workers and customers to ensure the safety of all.

If new social distancing measures are not being adhered to, email for Stockport and for Tameside about your concerns.

[Back to top]

Guidance for Working Safely

People in England who cannot work from home are now being actively encouraged to get back to work. To make sure that people can work safely, the Government have published the following guidance. It can be found on GOV.UK in full.
Work from home, if you can

All reasonable steps should be taken by employers to help people work from home, but for those who cannot work from home and whose workplace has not been told to close, they should begin to go to work. Staff should speak to their employer about when their workplace will open.

Maintain 2 metres social distancing

Employers should re-design workspaces to maintain two metre distances between people by staggering start times, creating one way walk throughs, opening more entrances and exits, or changing seating layouts in break rooms.

Reinforcing cleaning processes

Workplaces should be cleaned more frequently, paying close attention to high-contact objects like door handles and keyboards. Employers should provide handwashing facilities or hand sanitisers at entry and exit points.

Carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment, in consultation with trade unions or workers

Employers should publish the results of their risk assessments on their website. All businesses with over 50 employees must do so.

Where people cannot be 2 metres apart, manage transmission risk

Employers should look into creating workplace shift patterns or fixed teams and putting barriers up in shared spaces in order to limit the number of people who come in contact with one another.

Personal Protective Equipment and face coverings

The use of PPE in the workplace, outside of clinical settings and a handful of other roles, is not recommended by the Government. However, there are circumstances when wearing a face covering may be marginally beneficial as precautionary measure. If workers do choose to wear them, they should follow the workplace guidance on how to use them.

Self-Employed Workers

The Government have announced a new COVID-19 Self-Employment Income Support Scheme, which will give grants to self-employed workers. Eligible workers will be able to claim a taxable grant worth 80% of their trading profits up to a maximum of £2,500 per month for the next 3 months (March to June). This may be extended if needed.

Your self-employed trading profits must be less than £50,000 and more than half of your income come from self-employment. This is determined by at least one of the following conditions being true:

  • having trading profits/partnership trading profits in 2018-19 of less than £50,000 and these profits constitute more than half of your total taxable income
  • having average trading profits in 2016-17, 2017-18, and 2018-19 of less than £50,000 and these profits constitute more than half of your average taxable income in the same period

Only those already in self-employment and who have submitted a tax return for 2019 will qualify for the scheme. However, those who have not yet submitted their 2019 tax return have 4 weeks from 26 March to do so. The tax return must be filed by 23 April.  

Find out more, including whether you’re eligible here.

Citizen’s Advice suggest that if you’re self-employed and you can’t work because you’re sick with Coronavirus, you might be eligible to claim contribution-based or ‘new style’ ESA (Employment and Support Allowance). Find out more on the Citizen’s Advice website.

It has also been made easier for you to make a claim for Universal Credit, providing that you meet the usual eligibility criteria.

In order to support self-employed people with the economic impact of the outbreak, the requirements of the Minimum Income Floor are going to be temporarily relaxed from 6 April to allow self-employed workers to follow self-isolation and social distancing rules. This change will apply to all Universal Credit claimants and will last for the duration of the outbreak.

[Back to top]

Fact Checking COVID-19 Information

Misinformation is bad for us and our health. One of the best ways we can help prevent the spread of COVID-19 is by preventing the spread of misinformation, especially online.

Full Fact are the United Kingdom’s independent fact checking organisation. They have been fighting against a tide of false claims and exaggerations about COVID-19 from social media users, as well as private messaging app users such as those who communicate via WhatsApp and some journalists in the mainstream media.

To stop the spread of misinformation, Full Fact have launched an online form where users can directly ask questions and share claims about COVID-19 that they would like to be fact checked. Their website also publishes all of their latest fact checks in relation to COVID-19.

[Back to top]

Macmillan Cancer Support

Since the outbreak of COVID-19, Macmillan has seen a stark increase in the number of people contacting their Support Services about the disease – accounting for over a quarter of the people who contacted them in the past week. People living with cancer are rightly concerned about how COVID-19 will affect their health, their care and treatment, and their work and finances

Macmillan Cancer Support have therefore launched a COVID-19 Information Hub to provde clear advice, information and support about the disease to people living with cancer, their families and their carers.

Cancer Research UK also has a useful page with information about Coronavirus and cancer.

[Back to top]

Mental Health Support

Whilst we carry out social distancing measures to protect our physical health and the physical health of others, it is possible that our mental health may suffer as a result. It is recommended that despite social distancing, people remain connected remotely and stimulate their brains by keeping up a routine, regularly exercising and engaging in leisure activities such as reading.

Please find below some organisations who can provide help and support to those struggling with their mental health at this time.

If you’re feeling stressed about COVID-19 and you are aged over 16, SilverCloud can help you maintain a healthy mind during this challenging time. SilverCloud offer online programmes to help you ease stress levels, sleep better and build resilience. Programmes are self-help orientated, secure and confidential.

You can access instant self-help support and find out more about SilverCloud here.

[Back to top]

Online Learning

Future Learn was founded by the Open University in 2012. It is Europe’s largest social learning platform with delivers short open online classes.

A free online course on understanding and preventing the spread of COVID-19 has been launched for all learners. The course is currently open for enrolment and it will begin on 23 March.

Open Learn is the Open University’s free learning platform with over 15,000 hours of online courses and content available to all. Currently, Open Learn have over 950 short courses on a vast array of subjects.

Specifically on COVID-19, Open Learn have a dedicated page learners are advised to consult for free courses of infectious diseases, the latest government advice and mental health support.

MOT Exemption


The government are advising against non-essential travel via public transport.

Bus, rail and tram services have now reduced, with the Trafford Metrolink having opened as planned to assist key workers. The information about these changes can be found here.

Peak time restrictions on concessionary bus and tram passes have been lifted, but travel must be essential.

Refunds are also being made available for some Metrolink 28 day and annual passes.

Please be assured that a rigorous cleaning regime is taking place on public transport for those who do need to travel.

[Back to top]


The BBC have reported that gas and electricity suppliers have agreed to an emergency package of measures to ensure vulnerable people do not get cut off during the COVID-19 crisis.

Those on pre-payment meters will receive help if they cannot get out to top up through credit being sent in the post or in funds and funds automatically being added to their meter.

Those who are struggling to pay bills will receive support and no credit meter disconnections will take place. There is also potential for bill payments and debt repayments to be paused, reassessed or reduced where necessary.

Additional information about what can be done about pre-paid energy whilst self-isolating can be found on the Money Saving Expert website.

British Gas customers without smart meters are encourgaed to top up their meter more than they usually would in case they need to self-isolate. If customers do not have family, friends or neighours who can top up for them during self-isolation, British Gas should be contacted for help.

Similarly, if customers are unable to work because of COVID-19 and thus become unable to pay their energy bills, they should contact British Gas.

British Gas can be contacted over the phone (0330 100 0303) from Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm.

The opening hours of live chat are as follows:

  • Monday to Friday, 7:00am to 10:00pm
  • Saturday to Sunday, 8:00am to 6:00pm

Scottish Power understand that customers may be financially impacted if they need to self-isolate. If you’re finding it hard to pay for your energy, contact Scottish Power. Depending on your circumstances, there are a number of help packages in place including providing greater time to pay, reviwing monthly payments and the Scottish Power Hardship Fund.

Contact Scottish Power over the phone (0800 027 0072) from Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm.

Scottish Power can also be contacted via live chat and the Scottish Power App which can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.

Volunteering and Mutual Aid

Greater Manchester Partners are working together to provide community support and advice to residents who are struggling to access basic and essential services as a result of COVID-19. Volunteering GM is providing coordination to volunteering efforts across Greater Manchester including in Stockport and Tameside.

Andy Burnham, the Mayor of Greater Manchester, said: 

“The people of our city-region are compassionate – we don’t just walk on by.

“I want to kick-start a volunteering drive that sees the Greater Manchester public befriend their neighbours and others living and working nearby, running errands, collecting and distributing medicines and in general ensuring our older citizens are safe and well.

“We are living in a challenging period, but together we will get through this like we have so many depressions, recessions and dark times before.

“That is the spirit of Greater Manchester.”

A number of Facebook groups have also emerged to provide mutual aid across the constituency. For information about mutual aid groups in other areas, go to COVID-19 Mutual Aid UK.

Council Helplines

0161 217 6046

Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm

Saturday, 10:00am to 4:00pm

0161 342 8355

(Select Option 5 to go directly through to the COVID-19 Call Centre)

For residents who do not have any family, friends or neighbours able to support them at this difficult time, Tameside Council have set up a dedicated COVID-19 helpline. Give them a call to access help and support, ranging from the arrangement of essential item deliveries to anything as simple as a chat.

Stockport Council

Information and guidance provided by Stockport Council can be found here.

You can find out more about the support that Stockport Council is giving to local businesses here.

Stockport Council are also collating information and resources from local organisations on its website to get vulnerable and isolated people the support they need.

Adult Social Care

The focus is to ensure that statutory duties are met, but clearly we are prioritising essential work. We are in daily contact with our external providers for care homes, nursing homes and home care to ensure that robust continuity plans are in place. We have also established a central distribution approach for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for our staff to ensure that PPE, which is in short supply nationally, is prioritised to where it is most needed.


Stockport Council want to know what the key things are that are impacting your business at the moment, so they can work out how best to help you. Fill in the survey here.

Jobs Match

Stockport Council has set up Stockport Jobs Match, a one stop service for people who are looking for work during the Coronavirus (Covid-19) outbreak. It’s a free to use portal to help individuals access available jobs quickly by applying for work in one place. Click here to visit Stockport Jobs Match.

Council Tax Support

Stockport Council have released information on support for paying council tax during the Coronavirus outbreak. Read the advice here.

Community Support

On 25 March, the Stockport Local Fund will be launched to offer financial support to community organisations that are providing vital services at this time. Grants of between £200 and £1,000 will be available, aimed at helping the people most affected by the pandemic, including older people, children and families and people on low incomes.

Groups can apply for anything they need to support people, including: equipment, emergency supplies, food provision and parcels for vulnerable people, practical support, resources, running costs, transport, volunteer expenses and other necessities. To apply, community organisations should follow this link. 

If people would like to share any information about local community and voluntary groups, please email

Highways and Grounds Maintenance

From 25 March, no grounds maintenance will be taking place and only essential highways works will be carried out. This is to ensure that there is the resilience in the workforce to redirect staff to vital front line services where needed.

Parks and Open Spaces

In line with Government guidance, open spaces and parks remain open to provide places for people to exercise once a day in the fresh air. We have put up signs in our parks reinforcing the social distancing measures that people must take when they are using these spaces.

Waste and Recycling

The Greater Manchester Combined Authority have now closed all 20 household waste recycling centres across Greater Manchester.

Whilst every effort was been made to try and maintain a full service, the impact COVID-19 has had to staff numbers means that there is an insufficient number of drivers available to maintain a normal service. As such, the following changes to bin collections in Stockport are taking place.

These services will move from walk-in access to over the phone and online:

  • Customer services
  • Tameside housing advice
  • Taxi licensing counter service
  • Welfare rights and debt advice
These services will have walk-in access suspended with some online access:

  • Adult community education
  • Local studies and archives
  • Libraries
  • Museums and galleries
  • Public counter Dukinfield Crematorium
The Government have confirmed a £500 million Hardship Fund to provide council tax relief for vulnerable people and the households most affected by COVID-19. Access more information here.  

Tameside Council have set up a dedicated page for Employment and Individual Support, containing job listings for current oppourtunities and vacancies. It will also be updated with advice and guidance around mortgage and rent support, and changes to Universal Credit.

The Grow in Tameside Facebook page will continue to be updated. Both Baby Babble, Small Talk and Toddler Talk, and Littler Learners and Baby Group participants are encouraged to use this page for activity ideas to do at home.

The Young Parents Wriggles and Giggles Group will continue to be supported through the WhatsApp group.

All those currently completing or due to start a programme will continue through a different means of communication. Those on waiting lists will be contacted when normal service resumes.

Tameside Council are developing a parent resource page on their website. If you have anything to contribute, email

If you are concerned about anyone who might be vulnerable, please ring 0161 342 8355.

If you would like to register to volunteer, please visit the Action Together website.

On the Tameside Council website, there are a number of helpful pages to aid residents during this uncertain time.

Following further measures on social distancing, Tameside Council have taken the difficult but necessary decision to restrict chapel services to 10 mourners. The council is supporting families and offering webcasting or to rearrange services at a later date.

Leisure Centres

In line with national guidance advising the UK public to avoid unnecessary social contact, and in line with other Local Authorities in our areas, Tameside Council have taken the decision to close all Active Tameside venues to the public from 10.30pm on Friday March 20th.

Active Tameside will develop an alternative offer for residents including the use of Skype and videos on social media and on their website. They will be contacting members in due course with regards to memberships and block bookings – memberships will be automatically ‘frozen’ for an initial period of three months at no charge.

Active Medlock and the Tameside Wellness Centre – Denton will remain open in order to maintain commissioned services for the most vulnerable of our residents and the council will also continue to deploy sports coaches in schools to support vulnerable children and children of key workers.


In order to observe new social distancing measures and regulations, Hyde Indoor Market will temporarily close on Friday 27 March at 3:00pm until further notice.

All Outdoor Market activity has now been suspended, including the regular Ashton and Hyde Outdoor Markets.

Waste and Recycling

Bin crews are continuing to work hard to empty as many bins as possible in difficult circumstances. However, to catch up with missed rounds, all brown bin collections are going to be cancelled for the rest of this week (commencing 23 March). We hope to resume a full service again next week (commencing 30 March).

The Greater Manchester Combined Authority have also now closed all 20 household waste recycling centres across Greater Manchester.

Young Carers

For Young Carer groups and holiday activities, the team will be making regular phone calls to all families on the register to ensure they are supported. Referrals for Young Carers support can be sent to

[Back to top]

Government Helplines

0300 456 3565

Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 6:00pm

0800 015 9559

Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 8:00pm

Saturday, 8:00am to 4:00pm

0800 046 8687

0800 328 5644

Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 6:00pm

Business Growth Hub

For businesses in Greater Manchester, the Business Growth Hub is an invaluable resource which can help guide you through this difficult period. Support can be accessed over the phone (0161 359 3050) and online.

Affected businesses are being recommended to take 10 steps now, the aids for which can be found on the Business Growth Hub website:

1. Keep informed

2. Signpost your employees to trusted advice and support

3. Promote good hygiene in the workplace

4. Manage self-isolation, sickness absence and school closures

5. Follow the advice on business trips, event attendance and overseas travel

6. Manage overseas visitors and employees returning from overseas

7. Assess the risks in your supply chain

8. Engage with your key business partners

9. Carry out Pandemic Planning

10. Check your insurance

Constituency Office Address

Town Hall, Market Street, Denton, M34 2AP

Parliamentary Office Address

House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA